We are now about 30 days at sea, the longest I have ever been in one row. When I write it’s Sunday September 17th and we are around 100 miles off Brazil, heading down to Uruguay. After some very hard days, almost a week at 45° upwind sailing everyone on board is happy to have finally hoisted the spinnaker, thanks to better winds.

7 days at 45° – a real endurance challenge


At 45° simple things get difficult. To name some examples. Working in the galley (kitchen) to prepare the food is a workout, permanent body tension needed not to fall or spill food. Still it happens daily and bread dough or full meals end up on the floor. Or an easy visit to the heads (toilets) end in a disaster as floors are slippery and toilet bowls swap over. The clean-up after is even more a pain. Also, there top there is almost constant spray on deck, so everyone is soaked and tired from the heel and humidity is all over the boat. Sleep quality lacks massively when the boat is shaking forth and back, crashing into waves beating upwind. The level of noise is massive.


I personally find it the hardest to get up at night, when already suffering from sleep deprivation.Try to put on moist clothes in red light, thrown forth and back by the boat’s movement. Luckily, I am over the first seasick days. All these ingredients don’t make team life easier. When people are at their limits the change behaviour, are less patient, more direct and this leads to friction in the team. Still I can say it looks we have a great team which can master these challenges.



Team Greenings wins the first Ocean Sprint


Very much supportive to a positive mood on board was the fact that we could win the ocean sprint and the first 3 points are on our account. The 300 Miles from the 5th to the 10th degree south we finished only 15 minutes before Seattle and further 8 minutes before Garmin, a very tiny difference in a sprint over 30 hours.


Just f***ing do it


Back to the plain sailing. After finally hoisting the spi early this morning doing up to 17 knots boat speed we had to already get it down again to repair a small hole. This meant delayed lunch and an all hands call to get it sorted as quick as possible. The team’s motto is JFDI (Just f***ing do it) and so we had the kite flying only 1 hours later again.

Now a try to get some sleep, the next night shift begins in 5 hours and brings 2 times 4 hours of night sailing. Unfortunately, my camera cannot record the unbelievable stars…